Pale Moon/New Moon for Windows XP
Officially, Pale Moon does not support Windows XP anymore. The last official version is 26.5.0, but since then, unofficial modified versions have appeared.
Since September 2017, there is an unofficial version called New Moon by Fedor2 which restores support for Windows XP.
New Moon SSE
For computers with a processor without SSE2 (such as AMD Athlon XP and Intel Pentium III), I provide a SSE-only release of New Moon.
The current version is 27.6.2 from .
- You will need to install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable if you don't already have it.
- This is not a portable version, although it is distributed in a ZIP file.
- Currently, it does not include any audio or video codecs. HTML5 audio and video will therefore not work. This might change in the future.
- If you are upgrading from Pale Moon 26.5.0 and wish to keep your profile (settings, bookmarks, extensions, etc.):
- Go to %USERPROFILE%\Application Data and make a copy of the folder "Moonchild Productions" called just "Moonchild" (or just rename it if you like to live dangerously).
- Then do the same in %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data.
- %USERPROFILE% is your user directory, usually C:\Documents and Settings\username.
- If you are using EMET (version 4.1 update 1 being the last for Windows XP), you may check all checkboxes in the Apps window when configuring it for New Moon.
- This version does not update automatically. You will have to manually revisit this page to download newer versions.
- This is not an official Pale Moon product, therefore the Pale Moon project does not support it.
If you wish to compile it yourself, follow these steps:
- Set up your development environment. (Note: the compilation process seems to use at most 2 GB of RAM, but having more will speed it up because of better caching.)
- Get the Pale Moon source code: git clone https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/Pale-Moon
- Switch to the 27.6 release branch: git checkout 27.6_RelBranch (in the Pale-Moon directory)
- If you want to compile a specific release instead of the latest version:
- For 27.6.2: git reset ce6529
- For 27.6.1: git reset 39cc28
- Install the DirectX SDK from June 2010.
- Apply Fedor2's RestoreXP.patch: git clone https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal and (in the Pale-Moon directory) git apply --ignore-whitespace ..\Mypal\RestoreXP.patch (or wherever you put it)
- Apply my patch (the .mozconfig file is based on Mercury's): git apply --ignore-whitespace nmsse.pat
- Execute mach build and mach package.
- 27.6.1 (released )
Pale Moon 26.5.0
This is the last official version for Windows XP, from October 2016. You can find it at their archived versions page.
There is also a SSE version (for processors without SSE2) and an IA-32 version (for even older processors without SSE).
Not all extensions are compatible with it anymore. The following are the last versions of certain extensions that are:
First published on .
Last updated on .
Table of contents