Pale Moon/New Moon for Windows XP
Officially, Pale Moon does not support Windows XP anymore. The last official version is 26.5.0 (available at the bottom of this page), but since then, unofficial modified versions have appeared.
Since September 2017, there is an unofficial version called New Moon by Fedor2 which restores support for Windows XP.
New Moon SSE
For computers with a processor without SSE2 (such as AMD Athlon XP and Intel Pentium III), I provide a SSE-only release of New Moon.
The current version is 27.8.3 from :
- You will need to install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable if you don't already have it.
- This is not a portable version, although it is distributed in a ZIP file.
- Currently, it does not include any audio or video codecs. HTML5 audio and video will therefore not work. This might change in the future.
- If you are upgrading from Pale Moon 26.5.0 and wish to keep your settings, bookmarks, extensions, etc. (these instructions were tested with 27.6.1):
- Go to %USERPROFILE%\Application Data and make a copy of the folder "Moonchild Productions" called just "Moonchild" (or just rename it if you like to live dangerously).
- Then do the same in %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data.
- %USERPROFILE% is your user directory, usually C:\Documents and Settings\username.
- If you are using EMET (version 4.1 update 1 being the last for Windows XP), you may check all checkboxes in the Apps window when configuring it for New Moon.
- This version does not update automatically. You will have to manually revisit this page to download newer versions.
- This is not an official Pale Moon product, therefore the Pale Moon project does not support it.
If you wish to compile it yourself, follow these steps:
- Set up your development environment. (Note: the compilation process seems to use at most 2 GB of RAM, but having more will speed it up because of better caching.)
- Get the Pale Moon source code: git clone https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/Pale-Moon
- Install the DirectX SDK from June 2010.
- Enter the Pale-Moon directory.
- Switch to the correct release branch and tag depending on the version you want to compile: for version 27.x.y, execute git checkout 27.x_RelBranch and git checkout 27.x.y_Release.
For 27.8.0 and later, additionally execute:
git revert -n 4b2c1b3
git revert -n e629401
git revert -n 7c0acbf
git revert -n d6e790a
git revert -n 8c4c48d
git revert -n 723e8ae
git revert -n f6c1a6b
git revert -n f26f28a
(The reverts are needed to undo commits that break Windows XP compatibility.)
- Apply Fedor2's RestoreXP.patch from : git clone https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal and (in the Pale-Moon directory) git apply --ignore-whitespace ..\Mypal\RestoreXP.patch (or wherever you put it)
- Delete .mozconfig if it exists and [re]apply my patch (the .mozconfig file is based on Mercury's): git apply --ignore-whitespace nmsse.pat
- Execute mach build and mach package.
The ZIP file, ready for use and distribution, will be in obj-i686-pc-mingw32\dist.
Refer to Pale Moon release notes for information about changes.
- 27.8.2 (released on )
- 27.8.1 (released on )
- 27.8.0 (released on )
- 27.7.2 (released on )
- 27.7.1 (released on )
- 27.7.0 (released on )
- 27.6.2 (released on )
- 27.6.1 (released on )
Pale Moon 26.5.0
This is the last official version for Windows XP, from October 2016. You can find it at their archived versions page.
There is also a SSE version (for processors without SSE2) and an IA-32 version (for even older processors without SSE).
Not all extensions are compatible with it anymore. The following are the last versions of certain extensions that are:
First published on .
Last updated on .
Table of contents